Dental bone grafting and ridge preservation are done to protect your bone levels after going through the tooth extraction process.
When we pull out your teeth, your bone undergoes drastic changes. Now that your teeth have been extracted, there is no role for your jawbone to play. Thus, it dissolves and releases minerals into your blood circulatory system and other parts. Bone grafting and ridge preservation prevent such a problem.
Why is this Procedure Required?
It is vital to preserving your jawbone after the tooth extraction process. With the help of bone grafting, we will fortify your socket with a new bone graft and allow it to develop a new structure. If this procedure is not performed, you will start developing a sunken mouth and look older.
- Bone grafting and ridge preservation conserve the tissues of your bone and keep your soft tissues and jawbone from collapsing in empty sockets.
- This procedure keeps the site for any future restorative procedure prepared like dental implants.
- It is a minimally invasive procedure that doesn't hurt much and reduces the requirement of extra grafting.
How is the Procedure Performed?
- We will start with removing your decayed tooth in such a way that the existing bone in the socket doesn't get disturbed.
- We will place a special kind of bone grafting item into your socket like autogenous graft, xenograft, alloplast, or allograft to substitute your bone.
- Once the placement is done, we will stabilize the grafting material using a collagen membrane and stitches. After this step, the process of healing starts.
- The healing takes 3-5 months, after which we will carry out the process of implantation.
When to Opt for this Procedure?
Some people keep waiting for a significant loss of tissue before opting for this procedure. But it would be best if you visited us for this treatment at an early stage. Early treatment will help you preserve or build your jawbone when it is not enough for the implants to be fixed.
Your bone must be adequate in terms of its width and height to get a dental implant. As people start losing their bone after undergoing a tooth extraction, it is vital to visit us for this procedure at the earliest. The sooner you opt for this procedure, the easier it will become to protect you from bone loss. When done on time, bone grafting and ridge preservation is an affordable way to conserve the ridge structure of your bone.
Please reach out to our dental practice in San Jose or Santa Rosa to have a consultation with our dentist, Dr. Jamah. Please call us at (408) 578-5911 / (707) 539-6777 or schedule an online consultation, and we'll guide you further.